Thursday 9 July 2009

Anytime voting can be permanent voting

An interesting consequence of Anytime Voting is that it's possible for a voter to vote just once in their life and still be represented. Suppose a voter reaches voting age (or becomes a citizen) and proceeds to vote for their preferred party's candidates on the various ballots (parliament, national assemblies, local elections, European elections, etc.). If they move to a different district, CORE may allow their votes to be inherited, obviating the need to cast a new ballot. As long as their preferred party continues to contest all of the seats in their district, they need never vote again.

It's not that permanent voting is something to be striven for, but that it illustrates the impact of Anytime Voting. It isn't just about being able to dismiss or recall a representative that no longer has the support of their constituents (although that's a critical component), it's also about altering the relationship between voters and political parties.

1 comment:

  1. I like it.

    It's like Oxford Union chamber debating / 'House-divided' Parliament voting that remembers which door you last exited.

    The ability to immediately take a meaningful action with regard to my representative (assuming I voted for him) rather than write or call the rep.'s office for my opinion to be put in column A or column B by an intern is certainly appealing.

    If I didn't vote for my rep., I can try to convince others who did to change their vote, which would have greater impact than just getting counted in a poll or on column B.

    I might have missed this: if I voted for my rep., can I remove my vote without placing it elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete